inf0

FITNESS GURU, INDEPENDENT TEAM BEACHBODY COACH, ISSA CERTIFIED FITNESS PROFESSIONAL, NASM CERTIFIED FITNESS PROFESSIONAL, NASM CERTIFIED FITNESS NUTRITIONIST. LIVING A HEALTHY AND FIT LIFE EVERYDAY AND MOTIVATING OTHERS ALONG THE WAY.

www.beachbodycoach.com/bionut
www.shakeology.com/bionut
www.ultimatereset.com/bionut
www.Jenniferslovinski.com

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Impatience: An Effect, Not a Cause

WWW.BEACHBODYCOACH.COM/BIONUT
https://www.issacertifiedtrainer.com/jenniferslovinski













all my life, I have struggled with patience. Now as I am getting older and having more experiences in my life, I am finding that I desperately need patience. What can I do to gain patience?

The first thing is to realize that patience, like other traits you have, is simply the amalgamation of your underlying beliefs, which are the result of your upbringing or past encounters. This means that you’re not impatient because “that’s just how you are” or “that’s what you were born with”. You are impatient because of certain beliefs you have about yourself and the world.

What Impatience Is

To understand that, we have to first understand what impatience is. According to Dictionary.com, impatience means a lack of patience; restlessness; an intolerance of anything that thwarts, delays, or hinders.

An impatient person never wants to wait for others, or does so with great reluctance. An impatient person feels angsty when things do not go to plan. An impatient person usually feels a great sense of urgency to get things over with and to move on to the next thing, the next task, the next place, the next stop. He/she usually has little regard or interest to what’s going on at this moment in time, because in his/her mind, he/she is already thinking about what he/she has to do next.

As you can see, the impatient person is someone who often feels a great deal of urgency, internal pressure, and internal stress. It’s as if he/she is trying to rush to somewhere, or has something that needs to be completed ASAP.

But why? Why does the impatient person feel so much urgency, more so than others? What’s causing it? What exactly is this rush for?

My Experience with Impatience

Perhaps what might help is if I share my experience with impatience.

I used to be a highly impatient person. I would feel annoyed whenever people got in my way. I could never stand to wait more than a few minutes for a bus before feeling irritated at how long it was taking. If things ever progressed slower than expected, I would feel annoyed and irritated. Thoughts like “Why is this so slow?”, “Why can’t this be faster?” or “What’s next?” are more than familiar to me.

The funny thing was, I was never aware of my impatience until a year ago. It’s sort of like you don’t know what you’re in the middle of until you take a step back to look at things. Before, I always thought my (impatient) reactions were normal, knee-jerk reactions that anyone would have when caught in the same situation. It was only when I paused and reflected on my thoughts and behavior that I realized I was, in fact, quite the impatient person.

When I dug into my impatience, my answers opened my eyes. I asked myself, point blank: “Why am I always in such a rush?” Turned out that I had been so fixated on reaching a certain end vision, a certain end goal, for my future that I had totally missed living in the present.

When I dug deeper, I realized this fixation (with the future) was due to an innate unhappiness with myself. I had always had a subconscious belief that I was not good enough. In my mind, I thought that if I were to work on changing myself, achieving bigger visions, and accomplishing more goals, I would finally be content and happy. Hence, I kept projecting to the future, using it as my source of salvation.

Did that work though? Not in the way I had imagined. Whenever I achieved my goals, I would feel happy for that moment. However, it would be a matter of time before I thought, “What’s next?”, and got back into that impatient persona. I was constantly in a rush, trying to get from one place (be it a mental vision or a physical place) to the next. I was driven to keep going, keep moving, so as to achieve this elusive end vision where I would finally be happy one day.

Unhappiness with Self -> Projecting as Impatience with Others and the World

Do you see the problem here? The problem wasn’t that I had not achieved my ultimate end goal yet. There is never going to be an end to my goals or visions, because there is always room to grow; room be better. The problem wasn’t my desire to set goals either, for the desire for betterment is part and parcel of being a human. There is nothing worse than being the man who has no vision or dreams.

The problem here was (a) my inherent unhappiness with myself and (b) my belief that I had to get to somewhere before I could be happy and before I could be considered good enough. I kept thinking that there was something wrong with me and there was something that had to be fixed, which led me to keep looking forward into the future to address this gap.

Was that true though? No! There wasn’t anything wrong with me; neither was there anything wrong with my present moment! My belief that there was something wrong was a flawed belief that had set me on a loop of feeling dissatisfied, trying to work on my areas of dissatisfaction, and feeling dissatisfied yet again even when those areas were addressed. It was a flawed belief that created this endless urge to always hurry, act faster, stop being a slow poke, and get moving, so I could get on to the next big thing.

This was precisely why almost every single thing would get on my nerves, because each little thing—be it the bus being late, to the copier machine being jammed—would be something that stood in my way of achieving my end vision, which in turn stood in my way of becoming a more desirable, less hateable, person. All these little things were standing in my way of achieving my happiness. My angst at the external world was really due to my angst at the thought that I had to spend one more second being my present self (whom I hated).

What finally resolved my impatience was when I addressed self-limiting belief about myself. Why I (constantly) felt that I was good enough. Why I hated myself so. When I did that, the feelings of impatience melted away like water rolling off skin. I was impatient no more.

Impatience: An Emotion That Has No Place in Your Heart

The root cause of my impatience might not be the same as the root cause of your impatience. I merely shared my story as an example that impatience is really an effect and not a cause to be tackled.

While it’s natural to look forward to the future and want to achieve your goals as soon as possible, there is definitely something amiss when this desire repeatedly manifests itself as a constant feeling of impatience, a source of self-pressure (in an unhealthy way), and an annoyance at things that stand in your way.

These are negative, tension-filled, and fear-based emotions which have no place in our lives. Their presence usually suggest incongruent, disempowering beliefs which should no sooner be corrected.

Know that one can desire to achieve a better future and still be at peace with the present moment. They are not mutually exclusive with each other.

I shall now share with you a simple, 15-minute long exercise to dig into the underlying cause of your impatience. If you often experience bouts of impatience or if you are impatient most of the time, use this exercise to discover the root cause behind this undesired trait.

Exercise To Uncover Your Impatience (15 Minutes)

Grab a piece of pen and paper or fire up your favorite word processor. Get ready to type.
1.Think about recent incidences where you exhibited impatient behavior.
2.Ask yourself: ”Why am I so impatient?“. Write everything that comes to mind.
3.Go deeper into your answers by challenging them. Ask, “Why?” or ask follow-up questions to continue the thread of thought.
4.Repeat #3 until you get to the bottom of the issue.

Embracing a Life of Patience

Looking back, I could see that my impatience had been quite detrimental to my well-being. Many of its negative effects were not immediately observable; rather, they slowly compounded over time. It was only when I shed off my impatient persona that I could feel the difference.

For example, I didn’t realize how tensed my facial muscles, including my forehead, used to be until I addressed the root cause of my impatience. It was like I was in a constant, perpetual frown. Before, I knew my face always felt a little tense, but I didn’t know it was the result of my impatience.

I was also constantly worked up over the littlest of things, even though I might not show it on the outside. This made me quite an irritable person. I would then try to combat my annoyances internally so that I wouldn’t wear the negativity on the outside, which in turn made me feel like an oven that was ever ready to combust.

Perhaps the biggest problem was that my impatience often made me live in the future, rather than the present. I often had little regard for what was going on at the present moment because I would be too busy thinking, “What’s next?”

At the micro level, that meant I often missed out details which I would have caught on if I was more present. As they rightly say, more haste sometimes leads to less speed. At the macro level, I was totally not living life. I was merely a worker bee, getting from one point to the next in a flurry, and not truly living life as it was meant to be lived.

Today, I’m glad to have embraced the virtue of patience. My life has changed quite dramatically; I’m happier than ever; I’m at peace with myself; I now live in the present, not the future. At the same time, I continue to hold great aspirations for the future and am constantly working toward them. I love my present moment and I can’t wait to usher in a better future. It’s the moment that I now live for; not the future, and certainly not the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment